Friday, January 16, 2009
show openings
I was so nervous to go to my own show! I felt like the spotlight may burn right through me. I played it low key at first and answered the questions I was confronted with well enough. As the night progressed I felt a bit more comfortable and it was good to meet and talk to new people who were enthusiastic about my work. I realize more so know than I have before that putting yourself out there feels really good. And also that critique feels good. I had been so nervous about it to be truthful. But now I am most excited to invite people into my thoughts and let them inspire, suggest help to and encourage me. You can only progress a conversation if you speak out and once you do your faced with a whole new argument to realize and ascend to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Alex, thanks for posting about your feelings about our exhibition/reception (&) the process involved w/ showing your work. As artists, we work to create the pieces and then we decide how to show them: the art of presenting our art- placement, the lighting, the setup- in general. Afterwards, when we can see others viewing our work, observing our pieces: it’s a tremendous feeling. For me, it’s empowering as an artist. It gives me a boost to produce more. I want to get more people involved in art & analyzing art.
ReplyDeleteI am fascinated by the reactions which I may get, from my viewers. Are they drawn into the piece? Perhaps, the piece confronts you, head on? Reminiscent of something, possibly, in your own life? Does the art - push you into a realm of fantasy? Are you disgusted by the work? Affects you- negatively as well? How do the colors affect you? I think about these things more, especially now.
I love the fact that I can, at any given time, wonder who’s looking at my art and what they may be thinking about it. There’s a certain mystery to it all. It’s quite attractive.
Yes, showing work is often as intoxicating as making it. We have to have a clear head about it as much as possible, but it is part of why we do all of this.
ReplyDeleteI congratulate all of you on the show. We can save specific criticism for when we see the show as a group. It was great to see the work up and well lit. My main criticism is that the show is over-hung, ie too much work and not enough editing. It is hard to overcome the urge to show everything you have, but work needs room to breathe, and lesser works can detract from the power of stronger ones.
Good job overall!
Thank you for the crit professor. I do feel like, of course some works of mine were better than others. I felt like we needed to fill the space so I did. Now I realize that it is very much like a portfolio. It is only as good as the worst piece in it. I'm sure that it will take practice to learn the balance of quality and quantity in the context of an exhibit. Of course, I feel like quality is most essential but when the opportunity arises to have a show, I am going to take it. ;)
ReplyDelete