Wednesday, January 28, 2009

working things out



I may not even sure i will bring this piece into class but I feel like exposing my train of thought. Maybe you guys can give me some feed back.

This piece is the opposite... I think, of what I am working on in my other paintings. Instead of the self portrait, meant to convey awarness of self, yet a lack of self consciousness and to invite you into more than the physical body, this painting portrays the idea that when we become too conscious of our own bodies, we become obsessed with them and loose an honesty which lies withing focusing on who we and letting go of what we are.

I think I am making these paintings in order to respond to them by making my whole other body of work. I find it a bit interesting how I could spend so much time on something i dislike so much that i will make a whole other body of work to counteract it. ??? Maybe they ought to be shown together in order to have a dialog going on between them? maybe these two paths are one in the same? I do get myslef so caught up in thought... such is the job I suppose.

5 comments:

  1. I love this painting.

    You should look at Matthew Barney's work if your not familiar with him.
    Wish I could see the real colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Robert! i am familiar with his stuff. Thanks a bunch for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you keep working on your portraits your process will open you to new paths and directions to choose. Its important to keep doing it and whatever comes out of it is a learning experience. I would like to see this side by side with another piece and it would be interesting to talk about it and to explore what others see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great. Similar in style yet so different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks 'D' I will be sure to bring it in on Wednesday. Everyone brace themselves.

    ReplyDelete