Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Rantings

Art, like most everything that survives, evolves. From the beginnings of the twentieth century we have seen a real mutation. The reductionism, that began with Cezanne, non-objective subject, complete with the return to the two dimensional space where painting actually exists was a giant step. Coupled with the effects of technology, especially photography and digital media it continues the rebelling against and assaulting of preconceived definitions of art.
H.H. Arnason in History of Modern Art describes the effects of the spreading hysteria of the first World War and the profound reaction of the Zurich Dada’s as, “...making a critical examination of the traditions, premises, rules, logical basis, even the concepts of order, coherence, and beauty that had guided the creation of the arts throughout history and remained central to the enterprise of high-minded, utopian modernism.”
The destruction of conventions as a reaction to the brutality and nihilist attitude that ebbs in and out of our world history is well documented.
The twenty first century has given artists the same reasons to react, change and reinvent as a necessity for relevance, continued growth and existence.
There are many reasons to be a painter. It can be recreation to your life or the world, a desire to master techniques and skills for personnal satisfaction, the need for expression, not really understanding why, just the need to create or any combination of the above.
George Santayana said, “An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world”.
I have found that intuitively forming concepts of our contemporary culture and our society, much more interested in masking itself in appearances than in truth, tend to require a darker palette and vision.
The rant is almost over. Final thoughts (nothing original)from your peer well into the autumn of his life.
Don’t be afraid of taking chances; nothing new comes at the ends of paths well traveled. I don’t agree with the concept of there's nothing new. Nam June Paik didn’t either. I understand it’s not likely but it will never happen if people stop trying or worry about looking foolish. You can look foolish without trying so there is not much to lose i.e. I am actually thinking about posting this rant.
Try again, fail again, and fail better (That’s from a book title that’s better than the book) but there is a lot of truth there. Art doesn’t always need truth but it always needs the critical examination of rules and relevance. Saying that I am grateful for a room full of classmates and an instructor who my intuition tells me will be remembered for their influence and patience!
The rant is over....for now.

7 comments:

  1. I had gone to the PB3 Contemporary art fair this weekend. I got some ideas from the show, I found it to be similar to last year's PB3. There was a chinese artist there Yang Yang, who paintned on a large paper scroll, about 25 feet wide by 8 feet tall. This reminded me of the opening ceremony of the Olympics last year, but in a fine arts way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photograher to look up:
    MONKEY PORTRAITS
    Jill Greenberg
    http://www.manipulator.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the opening of the Olympics very impressive. The passionate energy and discipline instilled within that culture is incredible and I think productions like that show it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photographs of the monkeys and of the children have a sincerity to them I found enticing. The children were a bit unsettling in that i wondered what on earth made them all cry whilst they were getting their pictures taken. I read her statement about them and how she titled them "four more years". I think this may be a selfish act to photograph something as significant and sensitive as a child crying to sell your own political thoughts. But, i suppose in it's controversial aspect it is successful work. maybe the children forgot the awkward positions they were in as soon as the shoot was over. Powerful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Alex! I Like your Profile face on here 2. :) I drew mine over the last break. Today's class w/ the Boca Museum & Ruby Tuesday was fun. It was fun hanging out w/ everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing Sticky Tape Sculptures

    I logged onto my AOL account, several nights ago, and was greeted with this video. I was fascinated by this. I figured I’d share it w/ you all.

    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=50000053

    This just goes to show us, how deeply into art you can get. To establish a collection of these sculptures from pure sticky tape…down to their core! It’s painstakingly, insanely amazing! : ) I don’t have that patience, do you , heh?

    ReplyDelete