Monday, January 19, 2009

Bob Ross Thoughts

I grew up watching Bob Ross and his Joy of Painting series and I always found it to be a relaxing half hour. With his painting series, he brought oil painting to the masses in that he developed simplified techniques that allowed people to join the art world. He also taught that painting should make you happy and that you should always paint what you like...Something I find more and more true everyday.

These are just some of my musings. I am posting this just to get to see what you think of Bob Ross...Both good and bad.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I also grew up watching Bob Ross's T.V. series, "The Joy of Painting." I would record some shows and work on my canvas, as a way to continually teach myself. He was always relaxing to watch. He made it look could simple to just knock out a painting in an hour. Good motivation! As far as famous landscape painters in the last two decades, only Bob Ross and Thomas Kinkade- come to my mind. I'm sure there are others of note...I don't know them though.

    & In response to your posted comment, what Ross says- that You should always be happy w/ what you paint- Well, I agree w/ that a lot. However, I also believe that painting what you don't like can be a means of getting somewhere you would never have realized...Had you not aborted from working w/ a distaste, say w/ regards to a certain subject matter or media. Sometimes going against the grain is essential. Painting what you dislike- could make it easier for you as a painter. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that one should always experiment with new and possibly foreign techniques, media, grounds, subjects,etc. In fact, if Bob Ross hadn't gone from being a "traditional" painter and invent a simplified way to paint, well Bob would just be some guy named Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny that we are all influenced to some degree by Bob Ross. I remember my father (a crazy artist) watching good ol' Bob painting his happy trees while I was growing up. I guess I've never really considered Ross an artist, maybe more of a crafter. There's something about the rapid production of "couch paintings" that always somewhat turns my stomach. Then again Ross provided a positive influence in many peoples lives and perhaps introduced them to something they may not have thought accessable to them. I guess it's a similar case with "the Florida Highwaymen."They produced very quick but beautiful landscape paintings displaying a very high level of craft. However they are now sought after and considered to be art, not that I would say it's capitol "A" art, but something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love watching Bob Ross. I remember being in awe seeing the movement of his knife or brush manifest very solid forms. As pretty as his art was, it was not, in my mind, any really significant contribution to the art worlds conversation. However his love of process and simple joy in painting is something i sometimes feel I'm missing. When i am working it can often be a struggle. I find myself struggling and analyzing my paintings more than actually painting them. Thinking of Bob Ross makes me feel happy (no pun intended) and reminds me to just paint and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is one of his lasting contributions...To simply enjoy the process and to remember that we don't make mistakes, rather just have "happy accidents":)

    ReplyDelete