Monday, January 12, 2009

Painting Literature

Recently I came across a very good reference book about oil paints. It is called "The Oil Colour Book: A comprehensive resource for painters".

It was published by Winsor&Newton and it focuses on their line of oil paints, including the water mixable type. The book covers everything from a brief history of oil paints, to the differences of student v. professional paints, technical information on colors, mediums and solvents, brushes, and even application techniques. In the back of the book, there are excellent "usage tables" that show compatibility of mediums and paints and even composition tables about each color. This is not a how-to book, rather, as the name implies, a resource book that is quick to read and a great reference to have.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Enzo,
    I'll need all the help I can get with these water mixable paints.
    The painting I started on Mon is still wet...I got wet paint on my clothes, my furniture and in my car...anyone have a suggestion on how to get it off if water didn't work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know this is really late to reply to this but i must have missed this whole post. Anyway. I know of some great stuff to get paint out of stuff. I actually get it at sherwin Williams or Ben moore. It called "permatex, hand cleaner" or if you happen to have some 'Artgel' from winsor&newton. Its made to clean brushes and hands but it kind of works on fabrics too. I would say paint thinner but that will wreck you clothes i think. ;)

    ReplyDelete