In regard to our visit to the photorealism show at the Boca Museum, I would like us to get a little bit more familiar with the ideas of a photo painter decidedly not in the show, Gerhard Richter.
I am posting some links here. The first is quite a long interview with Rob Storr, which took place before his Moma Retrospective.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1248/is_1_90/ai_82012868/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1
this is a link to his official website with a vast array of his paintings for viewing:
http://www.gerhard-richter.com/
When you look at them, note how they are different and how they are similar to what we viewed at the Photorealism show.
Go to the bibliography section and look at the quotes, there are a few good ones from The Daily Practice of Painting (if you have the funds, buy the book)
and from the book:
The photograph took the place of all those paintings, drawings and illustrations that served to provide information about the reality they represented. A photograph does this more reliably and credibly than any painting. ...Photography altered ways of seeing and thinking. Photographs were regarded as true, paintings as artificial. The painted picture was no longer credible... pg 31.
See you in class
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I guess the book is out of print, so it is very expensive.
ReplyDeletePainters make true things artificial.
ReplyDeleteFYI:
ReplyDeleteI was able to get several books on Richter at the library!
1) The Daily Practice of Painting- Writing 1962-1993 was on loan from the Verman Kimbrough memorial library (Ringling School, Sarasota0 Go to the reference area N 6888.R48 A35 1995
2) ATLAS 759.3 RIC
3) Forty Years of Painting by Robert Storr
759.3 STO
I'll bring them to class on Wed. 1/28
Richter's quotes in the Daily practice:
ReplyDeleteWhen I paint from a photograph, this is part of the work process...p.34
"I don't copy photographs laboriously, with painstaking craftsmanship: I work out a rational technique, which is rational because I paint like a camera, and which looks the way it does because I exploit the altered way of seeing created by photography." p. 35
and finally "I like everything that has no style: dictionaries,photographs, nature, myself and my paintings...(Because style is violence, and I am not violent.) p.35
As a painter who works from photographs, I am relieved that Richter has put into words how he makes paintings and what his thought process is that makes him create.
I've been painting for about 15 years now and I always start a painting the same way, I have a ritual that i go through, I sit and look at my photos over and over that I've saved for years knowing that one fine day I will bring them to life.
I don't care if it's artifical or has no style, as he comments...all I care about is creating something from nothing (blank canvas) going through the creative process, laboring for the sake of making something that has meaning to me.
But if we are to make it as artists, our work has to have common thread, it has to have something in it that the viewer can connect with in order to linger at look/ fall into it.
Maybe we should talk about good/bad art?
Art that gets a negative reaction is not bad...where am i going with this?
Anyway,
A good example of common thread and connecting would be the current Ackerman, Corrao, Diaz and Seiler Exhibition at the FAU Student Union Gallery. Our very own classmates are on to something here that we can all learn from!