Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Conversation on The Presentation of Art

A Conversation on the Presentation of Art:

The arrangement of the artist’s work is critical- from class critiques to art exhibitions (on campus or off, in a gallery, perhaps?). The placement of one’s compositions can potentially make or break the series. One must take into account many elements w/ in this realm of art planning. The placement of my work or your work is an art form in itself. I pose the following ideas and questions. Consider it art food for art thought.

Does the presentation of the artwork- help move one’s eye through the work, sufficiently? Does the presentation continue the dialogue? - Does it convey the best message of your work from one panel to the other? How important a role does this presentation play- in helping to establish your artwork, in your own style/ your own element, in this contemporary art world, of ours?

Art is a dialogue-between artist and canvas & between the art and the viewer. As I continue to display my work, I observe the essential nature of the presentation process. What works? What doesn’t? There are many elements to consider in terms of presentation. Color scheme (Do colors clash?) Narrative/storytelling, textural patterns, subject matter, cropping of an image w / in the work, etc.. The pieces may work well alone or together. Now I can see the future “problems” as something good in the forming of my work. It motivates and challenges. I always like an artistic challenge. Please feel free to add your ideas, everyone.

3 comments:

  1. You are right on it!
    I feel that the presentation: craftsmanship, arrangement, continuity/flow will definitely
    contribute to the success of the show and meaning of the work. It's important for all artists to be aware of the questions you have raised. Thanks for pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question for Robert...
    Would you mind sharing with all of us
    what the canvases of your paintings, currently at the Student Union Gallery, are attached to?
    What materials are you using?
    Are they adhered to painted wood?
    It looks heavy but is it?
    Your paintings have a very interesting presentation, one that I have not seen.
    It can allow for making very large paintings quickly and then adhering them to a flat backing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, This is a very relevant part of presenting our work. I too feel that, of course, presentation of our art is very important. It can say nothing and it can say a significant amount about the work. Consider laying a painting on the floor or attaching it to the ceiling...I always keep one eye open when in galleries and shows to investigate how other artists and curators display the art. I think it's yet another opportunity to learn how others present their work.

    ReplyDelete