Saturday, March 28, 2009

What do you think? is this an interesting thing to focus on?

Our inhibitions cloak our most genuine aspects and raw human conditions. I strip away vanity and expose our underlying connections.
My work is driven by the urge to find that which unifies us. Currently, I use my own body as a means of researching and depicting what it means to a woman in our materially based culture. I explore my most primal feelings, which I feel inhibited to exhibit. These inhibitions, I feel are a direct effect of our culture. We make our own cages and thus the behaviors which need to be contained.
Continually in history men have painted women as “lovely” fertile objects or as any kind of fertile object for that matter, lovely or not. Perhaps it is this more dominant perspective of the female body that has effected its current situation within our society. Because we have been portrayed as objects, have we become objects? Have we associated ourselves with our physical bodies so much so that our job now is to hush any part of ourselves that may attribute to this assumption/definition? Do all women gotten the impression that we should be an executive and reclaim our bodies for ourselves! I am intrigued by these definitions of women as servers and objects of desire and the rebellions enacted. Rebellions where women act more like men. Perusing and competing. Who is supporting and nurturing? Have we abandoned what we are? As a women I feel a push and pull to what we want. We want to be like men, yet we still crave to be that object of desire. We pose but feel compelled to show disgust to those who look. Why? The gaze has become perverse because the purpose of the pose has lost it’s significance. The nude body has become engulfed within it’s context and those of us who live in chosen naivety are questioned.
I paint privately and genuinely these conditions, then bring my work to the public. The unguarded self within my work can evoke a sense of crudeness, for they lack the self consciousness which we have carefully crafted as a polite barrier between one another. I invite you beyond that boundary and into our untainted, intimate selves.

3 comments:

  1. Very well written! I think that this is the best explanation or explication of your work so far. I have to say this is always what I have seen in these pieces, the sense of laying bare what we so often subjugate because of how others may view us. Strong, powerful, gentle, loving, self conscious, lascivious, and embracing it all . . .
    Thank you for making this work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT!!!! I LOVE YOU SYM!!!!!!!!!
    And Listen...I will miss you after this semester. We are going to do this show together and help each other along the whole way...NO MORE ANXIETY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOTE>>>THESE ARE "RANTINGS" I NEED TO CONTINUE MY SEARCH.

    ReplyDelete