Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Experimental




During my research for Minimalism, specifically Frank Stella, I came across a rather interesting project that he, and other famous artists participated in: The BMW art cars of the 1970's. BMW commissioned Stella, Alexander Calder, Andy Warhol, Robert Rauschenberg, and others, to create a work using the cars as the ground. (You can view the cars at: http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/artcars/ ) The cars can hardly be called Minimalist, but they did get me wondering; what would a minimalist art car look like? With that in mind, I dusted off my car modeling skills and built up a model with the spirit of Minimalism. This was not an attempt to create a bare minimal car from the ground up, rather to take an existing car, in this case a 1992 Lancia Delta HF, and make an art car out of it. The car lent itself well to a Minimal approach with its clean and, for the most part, unadorned body. I painted it matt black, including the wheels, yet I kept all the details to ensure that it would still be accurate and realistic, even in 1/24 scale. It was an enjoyable project, and I definitely would like to continue with other model cars.

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea...the black tires lends itself to the artform...they look almost toy like creations...or maybe urban ghetto cars that were spray painted black to touch them up!

    ReplyDelete