Wednesday, February 18, 2009

reply on "material reference"

Yes the use of others work directly, (copies)is an issue but with technologies being the way they are today it's hard to call a work your own these days. I also think that using any image on the internet of anyone you find is usable to who ever to make money or art. It's a strange thing. But as far as burrowing certain compositions and imagery in your own work is ok. You just need to be able to explain why you used it and what significance it has in your work. Just know what your doing and it should be okay? That's my guess. There is also another issue that has come up for me. I make art and then I find others used that imagery in their work after the fact. Like my ears...hello they are just like Matthew Barney. It's good though because then you see why they used it and a yet another path of investigation comes up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Alex. You mentioned other people using images or ideas at the same time unintentionally. Just thought I would mention that I just came across a reference to that in "Strange and Charmed" (contemporary art and science). I guess this happens frequently not only in the arts but also in science. Breakthroughs are often made at the same time in the same manner by labs with no connection. This often leads to the issue of who was actually first and can take credit. I think this speaks to not only the idea of universal mind and group consciousness, but also leaps in evolutionary development.

    ReplyDelete